setting up TRK for BT-client on remote DLing server/NAS

Ask for help if you have problems with settings
KilroyQuasar

setting up TRK for BT-client on remote DLing server/NAS

Post by KilroyQuasar » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:35 pm

Hello!

am having no clue on how to do this.

i have a router with ddwrt as its firmware. a pen-drive is attached to it, that has putty and opwtare transmission on it. i control the transmission client from my desktop pc. however, i have no clue as to how to run TRK with it. i did check the relevant page here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=224

but am unable to understand how to install TRK. whether TRK will remain on my pc itself, or i will have to install the Linux version using putty on to that pen-drive?

someone please suggest.

thanks!
Last edited by KilroyQuasar on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KilroyQuasar

Re: setting up TRK for transmission on ddwrt

Post by KilroyQuasar » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:07 pm

read a bit more, and found winscp. was able to establish a connection with my router using it. now do i just drag-and-drop the TRK jar file into the root folder, and then edit settings.json of transmission-daemon? and how do i run TRK? by using this command-line in putty?

java -jar TorrentRatioKeeperMonster.jar -ui:0 [OPTIONS]

also, my transmission-daemon doesn't have proxy-settings. so where do i add the proxy-settings lines in the json file? or can i really add them too? this is so confusing! :(

UPDATE: now i learnt that proxy-support has been removed from transmission long ago (mine is v2.82). fantastic! now gotta try vuze. tough task ahead! phew!

administrator
Support

Post by administrator » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:55 pm

Hello,

Vuze is a great torrent client with many features. If you can run java application on your router, then Vuze + TRK must work great. Also you can install old version of transmission or any other command line torrent app like rtorrent.
Feel free to ask any questions and sorry for the delay.

KilroyQuasar

Post by KilroyQuasar » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:05 pm

administrator wrote:Hello,

Vuze is a great torrent client with many features. If you can run java application on your router, then Vuze + TRK must work great. Also you can install old version of transmission or any other command line torrent app like rtorrent.
Feel free to ask any questions and sorry for the delay.
now my time to say 'sorry for the delay.' ;)

thanks! i will try that and will post here about it.

KilroyQuasar

Post by KilroyQuasar » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:07 pm

Hello admin!

i fear am on the verge of giving up (as bad and sad as it might seem reading this)! :(

1. since my router has optware, i will have to install transmission as an optware package, and the repository of the package keeps updating, and the older versions are pruned out from time-to-time. for instance, the repository now has the latest version of transmission in it, v2.84. you may see it here:

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ ... /packages/

2. tried to find older versions of transmission, but the best i could find is what seems to be versions for Mac OSX, here:

http://download-origin.transmissionbt.com/files/ (the last version of transmission that had proxy-support was v2.11. this link has that too. but am not sure if it is for Mac or for Linux. moreover, as i wrote above, i can install only optware transmission package. even if installing a *.tar package was possible, i won't be able to do it, unless i can find specific instructions on how to do it. i have perhaps more than a hundred tabs open in my browser now on this issue, but couldn't find one page on this!).

3. the repository of packages, the link of which i posted in pt. no. 1 above, that has other torrent-clients like ctorrent, libtorrent, mktorrent, and rtorrent. can TRK be used with any of these (i suppose it can be used with rtorrent)? if yes, will try to ask someone to please provide me with instructions on how to install and configure that particular torrent, and will later post here to seek your assistance on how to use TRK in conjunction with it.

4. if the above also doesn't come true, then i suppose i will have to either try to find ways of installing (ie, if there're any) vuze/deluge on my media NAS (GoFlex Home), or finally revive my uselessly lying laptop to be used as a downloading machine, on which i would then use utorrent + TRK, as i've been doing till now on my desktop PC. vuze/deluge presently are either not installable on optware, or are very difficult to install (something related to cross-compiling).

so that was it! since this whole thing is looking too messy to me (after 2 days of reading here-and-there), am banking most of my hopes now on my laptop/media NAS. atleast a good thing that way would be, that both of them would find some use (both of them are lying uselessly as of now). but would still like to have an option of using a torrent-client with proxy-support and TRK on a headless torrent-box/router (with GUI and remote-control/op) sometime in the future, sooner or later.

what do you say?
or, any other workaround/alternative you've in mind?

KilroyQuasar

Post by KilroyQuasar » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:56 am

an update --> played with installing rtorrent+rutorrent on my optware for many hours y'day and today. got some success to an extent, but then got stuck at one point. incidentally, checked about proxy support in rtorrent/rutorrent on the net, and the answer about it is difficult to set-up, and the risk of the tracker discovering it are higher (and hence, i am safely discounting my capability to use TRK-proxy with rtorrent. awaiting your comment on this, admin).

now i will be moving to attempt installing vuze/deluge on my nas, that has debian on it. hopefully i would be able to install on it, and if so, then nothing like it! will post update later.

LOL. looks like am talking all to myself. nevermind, this record may help me as well as some others too in future. :mrgreen:

administrator
Support

Post by administrator » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:45 am

Hi :)

It seems that you need to build transmission for your router to make it work with TRK. I don't have any openwrt devices to make tests and write a tutorial. :( I've checked tutorials for ctorrent, libtorrent, mktorrent, and rtorrent and here is the info:
ctorrent doesn't support proxies. I don't see any info about proxies on the main page: http://www.rahul.net/dholmes/ctorrent/
Many linux torrent clients are based on libtorrent: http://alinuxblog.wordpress.com/2010/09 ... for-linux/ I'm not sure if it's torrent client or a lib (like .dll in windows). I found information about it, but it looks like info for developers: http://libtorrent.org/manual.html
mktorrent is a simple command line utility to create BitTorrent metainfo files, not a torrent client.
I didn't use rtorrent much, but it was fine with TRK. I think you found this info http://drwho.virtadpt.net/archive/2010/ ... nd-proxies . If it's true and rtorrent can send extra requests or adds extra parameters to header to the torrent tracker to show that it uses proxy, then it can be a big problem on trackers like iptorrent.

Can you launch java (jre) on your openwrt device?

Sorry for delay.

KilroyQuasar

Post by KilroyQuasar » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:04 pm

hello!

thanks for searching about it, admin!

yes, that was one of the pages i had read when searching on proxy-support to rtorrent. but i have halted progress on rtorrent for now, because it was giving me am error in launching, the sure-shot solution to which i couldn't find. may be will have to troubleshoot it taking some expert's help personally sometime.

as i wrote in my last post, i will ne attempting to install deluge on my NAS now. easier to operate & use with TRK, isn't it? am just learning a few things about debian now, and will then go on to install deluge on the NAS. will post about it here then.

P.S. - JRE can be launched on my router i guess (had read it somewhere); but since i could install rtorrent, and still better, found my way out to install deluge on the NAS as a better option, i didn't pay much attention to that matter anymore after that.

administrator
Support

Post by administrator » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:38 pm

Deluge is a great torrent client with nice web interface. I think you can use same tutorial for NAS as for PC.
I don't know your hardware details and if it's possible or not to run JRE. AS far as I know JRE needs about 8 MB RAM minimum for running simple applications. TRK needs about 3 MB (code + data).

If you have any questions, I will be pleased to answer them.:)

KilroyQuasar

Post by KilroyQuasar » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:37 am

administrator wrote:Deluge is a great torrent client with nice web interface. I think you can use same tutorial for NAS as for PC.
I don't know your hardware details and if it's possible or not to run JRE. AS far as I know JRE needs about 8 MB RAM minimum for running simple applications. TRK needs about 3 MB (code + data).

If you have any questions, I will be pleased to answer them.:)
yes, admin. am also hoping that i can use almost the same steps to install deluge on NAS, as on a debian PC.

my router has 128 MB of RAM. running JRE wouldn't be such an issue i guess. but let's forego this option for now atleast. am excited to try out deluge on the NAS. :)
Last edited by KilroyQuasar on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.