setting up TRK for BT-client on remote DLing server/NAS

Ask for help if you have problems with settings
KilroyQuasar

Re: setting up TRK for transmission on ddwrt

Post by KilroyQuasar » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:05 am

hey admin! good news! i have installed deluge on my debian-based NAS. now how to install TRK? i will have to install JRE and then TRK on the NAS now? confused on this. please suggest.

thanks!

administrator
Support

Post by administrator » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:58 am

Yes, you need to install JRE or JDK (JDK contains JRE). You can run TRK like:

Code: Select all

java -jar TorrentRatioKeeperMonster.jar -ui:0 <needed settings>
Please check this topic for examples:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=224

KilroyQuasar

Post by KilroyQuasar » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:06 pm

alright. thanks! will post back soon.

KilroyQuasar

Post by KilroyQuasar » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:50 pm

hello admin! i installed openjdk-7-jre and TRK on my remote server. tested running TRK. working fine. i have a few questions:

1. if i start TRK, and then close my SSH connection and the desktop-client, will TRK still keep running on the remote-server, as deluge keeps running; or will i have to do something extra to keep running TRK in the background and then shutdown my dekstop-client?

2. if i telnet to 'localhost 3012', i get 'connected to localhost', followed by a line that reads 'connection closed by foreign host'. but if i telnet to '127.0.0.1 3012' instead, then i don't get the last line as 'connection closed by foreign host'. does this mean that in deluge's proxy-settings, i should use '127.0.0.1' as host-name, instead of 'localhost'?

3. TRK should be started before starting deluge, correct?!

4. how would i know that TRK is running as intended? LoL! i mean, how can i check my real UL/DL versus the modified UL/DL (or ratio)? by checking in the GUI version on the desktop machine?

thanks!

administrator
Support

Post by administrator » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:55 pm

Hello! :)
1. if i start TRK, and then close my SSH connection and the desktop-client, will TRK still keep running on the remote-server, as deluge keeps running; or will i have to do something extra to keep running TRK in the background and then shutdown my dekstop-client?
This is depends on your *nix configuration. If you run TRK in background, then it can stay running after you close ssh session:

java -jar TorrentRatioKeeper.jar <settings> &
You need to try to check if trk stays or closes. You can relogin and check if TRK is running by

ps -A
or any other processes view command. If you don't see TRK on the list, then you need to "deamonize" it: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4797 ... -never-die
2. if i telnet to 'localhost 3012', i get 'connected to localhost', followed by a line that reads 'connection closed by foreign host'. but if i telnet to '127.0.0.1 3012' instead, then i don't get the last line as 'connection closed by foreign host'. does this mean that in deluge's proxy-settings, i should use '127.0.0.1' as host-name, instead of 'localhost'?
Seems you are right. TRK allows connections from 127.0.0.1 only to avoid "hacks" from other IPs. If your *nix translates localhost to other ip (not 127.0.0.1), then TRK will close the connection to block "hacker".
3. TRK should be started before starting deluge, correct?!
Yes :)
4. how would i know that TRK is running as intended? LoL! i mean, how can i check my real UL/DL versus the modified UL/DL (or ratio)? by checking in the GUI version on the desktop machine?
You will see that TRK creates rules.xml and history.xml in the same or home folder (it depends on your java config). You can copy them to your pc and launch trk to view the stats. :)

KilroyQuasar

Post by KilroyQuasar » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:19 pm

thanks for the prompt resposne, admin!
i had checked running TRK in the background by the same parameter (using '&') y'day, and could see running it in background using 'ps aux', but still thought to confirm with you. will check it now thoroughly.

also, will check with a torrent-DL using some settings in TRK, and then report back here.

P.S. - for anyone else reading this thread, make sure that you check with typing the license code in the command to run TRK on your remote-server, in small case, if you're getting 'wrong license' error. after i typed in small case is when i got the 'congratulations!' message.

KilroyQuasar

Post by KilroyQuasar » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:19 pm

help, admin!

tried downloading a few torrents, after running TRK. public ones downloading fine, but pvt. ones, i get the following errors:

1. if i set host to 'localhost' --> tracker-status - 'Error: Not found.'

2. if i set host to '127.0.0.1' --> tracker-status - 'Error: premature end of file.'

in both cases, 'no incoming connections!' even getting the error 'connection refused' at times. :(

checked on utorrent (without running TRK) on the desktop. there they are connecting to the tracker(s) & downloading fine.

if it helps, following are some settings i used:

A] on TRK:

B] on Deluge:

please advise. :|

KilroyQuasar

Post by KilroyQuasar » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:38 pm

UPDATE:

Hurrah! got it working!

i deleted a file named 'session.state' (it was blank) from /.config /deluge, and it started. first i ran deluge without starting TRK and without any proxy. then i saw tracker-status as --> 'Announce OK'.

then i quit deluge, ran TRK, then ran Deluge again, set-up proxy (127.0.0.1; 3012), and then checked. tracker-status now --> 'Error: Not found'; 'No incoming connections!'. but it is still downloading. :?
is there any danger in it?

also, should i keep UPnP and DHT enabled in Deluge?

UPDATE: download complete! however, am not able to upload anything. upload-speed has constantly been showing as 0. on the tracker's website too, its showing that i haven't downloaded anything at all. this is not good. checking some settings now.

UPDATE 2: solved the 'no incoming connections!' error-problem by forwarding a port for deluge in my router. but upload still not activated. trying to figure out a solution for that.

KilroyQuasar

Post by KilroyQuasar » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:40 pm

UPDATE 3: happy to tell you that the 'no uploading' issue seems to have resolved! i uninstalled the previous version of deluge from my remote-server and desktop, and installed the latest version on both. now, the torrent is also uploading with simulatneously downloading. :)

i will test TRK with this tomorrow and write back here. its already late night. :)

administrator
Support

Post by administrator » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:26 am

Hello :)
also, should i keep UPnP and DHT enabled in Deluge?
UPnP is a feature to auto-forward your torrent port. It makes possible for other users to connect to your ip directly. This feature can speed up uploading/downloading, but also can make your torrent application "hackable". If someone knows how to hack your torrent client, then he can just connect and do his job.
DHT is an alternative source of peers. I notice that trackers with DHT support is a bit faster and have more seeds (imho).